View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
El Dorado Jim

Re: Hard start question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
Put a v8 and summit headers in the truck.

Good battery (12.6 off and 13.8 running volts). New remanufactured starter with new solenoid.

Starts instantly when cool. When hot, very hard to turn over. Once it turns over, it starts quickly.

I got a heat shield wrap around the starter and the solenoid. I've tried to route the cables as far from heat as I can. The small ones going the the solenoid are also wrapped with heat reflecting wrap.

What should be my next step?

I have cheap autozone battery cables, they don't say the gauge, but I'm gonna guess 4 gauge. And the + is quite long.

Do you think going to 1 or 2 gauge should be next? Also considering header wrap, but I'ver heard bad things about that stuff.
running headers is most likely the problem,I had the same problem...the starter gets too hot and wont spin, I installed a Ford solenoid on my inner fender that puts a full 12 volts to the starter, the way the gm starters work is you dont have a full 12 volts and when the starter is hot isn"t enough voltage to spin it.....you have to find the small wire that activates your starter, splice onto it so it will reach the new solenoid you mount on the inner fender,then run a 10 gauge wire from + side of your battery to the solenoid, then run a 10 gauge wire from the solenoid to your starter......maybe some others will chime in here and explain it better, Vette Vet?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote