View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
phraza

64 Stepside - New Zealand Project

Hi all,

Recently imported a 64 Shortbed Stepside in to New Zealand from sunny San Francisco.

Spent it's whole life there, and has only had one owner (I think, the son was selling it on behalf of his Granddad).

Needs a few things done for it to be road legal here in NZ, which I'm currently working on. Not many of these are over here, only spotted a couple out on the road.

1964 Shortbed Stepside
350 V8 - ran the numbers and it's a 1979, would probably get a new 350 crate in the future
4 speed on the floor Saginaw - a bit clunky, needs pulling apart and some love given to it.

Will update with photos as I go along, you'll probably see me ask some silly questions in the general area of the forum (sorry). As these things are quite rare here, not many people know about them.

List of things I have to do to get it road legal here in NZ:

- Seatbelts: needed to have diagonal seatbelts for the 2 outer seats. This is all done and they look really tidy
- Rust repairs: needed a couple of small holes in the B Pillar repaired, pretty good as that's the only rust on the car. This is all done, just needs final paint.
- Rear window: needed a new rear window that has the safety stamp on it. All done, got a new toughened piece put in for cheap.
- Brakes: needs all brake lines, pipes and drum assembles seen to. I'm coming over to the US next week and have ordered a heap of parts for me to bring back. So will be tackling this in a couple of weeks after I'm back.
- E Brake: needs fixing/adjusted.
- Speedo: needs to be adjusted as it's got slightly larger tires. Have already taken the speedo gear out etc, and ordered new parts.
- Driveshaft Loop: needs a driveshaft safety loop for legal reasons here, as the engine is not standard. Will install this in a few weeks also.
- Fan Shroud: needs a fan shroud, currently has a mechanical fan, not sure what way I want to go: either get a shroud for that, or just put an electric fan in with a thermo switch.

Then the plan for the rest of the truck is to just make it tidy and clean.

- Bed: I bought back a full wood bed kit when I got the car shipped over. I ordered the Oak set with stainless strips etc from Mar-K. Looking forward to installing that soon.
- Engine: I have a new air cleaner, rocker covers, electronic distributor converter to put on when I can. Engine is pretty strong and well looked after which is awesome.
- Shifter: I'm picking up a new Hurst bench seat shifter stick in the US when I'm there
- Interior: Will find a cover (Mexican rug perhaps?) for the seats. Pretty sure it's the original vinyl cover so I want to protect that. Also plans to carpet the floor, tidy up the dash and replace the stereo.
- Exterior: The exterior is pretty tidy, has had a paint job on the last few years I would say, it's really good condition. (Recently repaired front corner which needs final paint). Tires are all good, but when they get low I'll replace them with BFGoodrich white letter tyres (or switch it up and go with steelies and whitewalls). Needs a side mirror for the passenger side too.
- Other: Lots of other little things that I'll work on and add to this build thread. Watch this space!

Anyway, I'll update this thread when I can, I'll add some initial photos the next couple of days so ya'll know what I'm working with.

Pretty excited, first classic car I've owned.

Cheers
Attached Images

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
phraza is offline   Reply With Quote