View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
mejum

Wheel Backspacing

I'd like to know what other '55-57 trucks with Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am front clips are running for front wheels, sizes, backspacing, offset, etc.

On my '57 I've got American Racing Torq Thrust II's, 16"x8", 4" backspacing, zero (0) offset, and 225/50/16 tires. The wheels sit about flush with the fenders (approximately half inch of gap between tire and fender) and are tucked about a half inch. With my current setup, I can't turn the wheels full-lock without the tires rubbing the fenders.

I'm perfectly happy with the truck's stance and not interested in raising the truck. I'm also perfectly happy with my original front fenders and have no desire to cut or roll the inner lip. I believe my only option is to get a wheel that sits a little deeper in the wheel well.

There doesn't appear to be an off-the-shelf Torq Thrust II wheel spec that will work to get me the clearance I need. Les Schwab recommended a custom, 2-piece Torq Thrust II with custom backspacing. Two custom Torq Thrust wheels with tires is easily over $1k so now I'm browsing for other wheels.

Interested in seeing and reading about what others are running for wheels.

Old picture of the front wheel and how she sits:
mejum is offline   Reply With Quote