View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #283
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Hey Larry I thought I read somewhere that you have had problems with your 5th gear nut on your NV4500's. I just got done with my swap over a week ago and had been driving my truck everyday and just last night developed a ringing/rattling sound only in 5th gear. The noise doesn't really change when 5th gear is under load or not.

Does this sound like a 5th gear nut problem and what have you found to be a good fix for this. I really don't have much money to throw at it and I'm told my tranny doesn't have many miles on the rebuild. I know some have welded the nut on with great results but also know that sometimes the welds break and then you must install a new shaft.

What are your thoughts, Thanks
Yeah, I had 5th gear issues where getting it into 5th was like getting in an arm wrestle with the shift lever. Also had them where 5th gear screamed like crazy. NV4500’s are weird because some make more “normal” noises than others. Curious how many NV4500’s you’ve driven to compare this as a normal characteristic or something out of the ordinary. NV4500’s are finicky!

Funny you should bring this up as I just got a reman NV4500 for the Polar Bear about 3 weeks ago. The new one shifts fine but it makes a huge racket in 5th gear…not under acceleration or coast but a coast with a slight tip in of the throttle. Hard to explain the noise but it sounds like something inside is loose. The closest thing I’ve ever heard to a noise like this is when the idler gear in the NP205 in the K10 was loose and would bounce around under a slight tip on of the throttle on a partial coast when the gears are somewhat relaxed. I’ve been going round and round with the reman company where they said “No problem….ship it back and we’ll take a look”. And I’m like nooooo…..you guys send me another one so I don’t have to have my shop plugged with the Suburban for 3 weeks while this one gets shipped back, they take a look/fix then ship it back. They aren’t willing to send me another unless I pay for it then they will reimburse me once they tear into it and confirm a defect on their part. That leaves me in an awkward position with $1000 on the line hoping they will be honest and own up to an issue rather than pull some shenanigans that reman companies are famous for pulling. I guess they’ve been burned before where they won’t ship anything until they confirm the issue is theirs and not an installation error. There is no error even a moron could do with the installation that would cause this noise other than something went wrong during their rebuild. Very frustrating.

I tell ya, I am done with NV4500’s after this mess gets resolved. The next NV4500 that dies in the K10 or this burb is getting replaced with something else even if it is an automatic. Tremec makes an equivalent transmission to a NV4500 (similar dimensions, same input and output spline size and counts) that is used in Mexican and South American market GM trucks but we never got them in the US. Tempted to see what it would take to get one of those…..or just go 4L80E next go around. I’m in a real bad mood about NV4500’s lately
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote