View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #90
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

Beetle and I are looking to be in the same boat soon, I think. I'll be interested in one of this kits, but only if I can hook up the speedo "directly" to the output plug on the trans. I'm most likely using a NV3500, I know there are two types of plugs that come in them. One type works with an ABS computer and the other doesn't. I'd also be open to using a "breadboard" kit and some resistors, etc to change the signal to what the speedo is used to getting from a computer.

My initial take on this was to get one of the aftermarket gauges that are programmable and work off the tailshaft signal. Then I learned about a few options I might find in the junkyard that seem to be petering out.

So, what I'm asking is, could you check to see what voltage, amperage, resistance, and how many pulses per "mile" the signals are on your transmission's tailshaft output, then on the signal the computer sends to your speedo setup?

If it looks feasible, I'll probably put in for a decal from the next batch. I might even do that if I have to resort to an aftermarket speedo anyway.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote