View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #46
Alex V.

Re: Tranny / tcase problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
This thread is an interesting read. It is true that the T/C torque mount would be the cause of adapter and bellhousing failures.

I do see that some on here have said they weren't used on 73 and up trucks. I'm wondering about the validity of that statement only because my 73 K20 had the mount. Not to say that someone didn't add it on later, thinking it was necessary. I'm wondering when GM truly did stop using them.

Also, does anyone have a picture of what the alternative torque rod looks like? I've never seen this before.
I have a '74 K10 at the moment that had the T-case side brace. The rear diff. and driveshaft have been replaced, and the trans./T-case mount has been broke clean off and welded back together - being a factory 454 truck, it's easier to figure how this happened than if it had been a 6 cyl. truck all its life, as it is now. I can't say with 100% certainty that the truck came from the factory with the T-case brace, but it sure doesn't look like it was added on. However, the evidence presented here suggesting the driveline is under less stress when the brace isn't there makes sense to me so I'm going to leave it off.

FWIW, originally the truck was a 454/auto (currently has a TH350, not sure if it's original or not) with an NP205 and a few HD suspension options - shocks and front springs, IIRC.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote