View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Cadillac Kid

New HEI Distributor, 350 won't sart?

Hello everyone. Sometimes I hate life, I just want to drive my truck.

A few days ago I pulled out the original points distributor from my 1974 c10 with a 350. I installed a Proform#66941R HEI distributor. Seemed like a decent unit, it had good reviews. I know a lot of aftermarket distributors are crap these days. The truck will not start. It ran 1 week ago. It just cranks and cranks now. Sometimes pops through the exhaust, a few times it ran briefly but at very low rpm and then stalled. Will not stay running at all now, just cranks. My truck has a factory tach that I have not wired to the new distributor yet. I also changed the plugs and gapped them at 45. (Not sure if that makes a difference).

This is what i've done.
I dropped it in, and routed the spark plug wires. I ran a new 12 gauge wire from the ignition terminal on the fuse box to the BATT terminal on the distributor, so it has full power during crank and run, etc. I've installed HEI distributors into cars before, so I don't know why this one is giving me trouble. I verified with my multi-meter that I have power at the distributor during crank and run, I have gone over the firing order at least 6 times. The most recent time I removed the plug wires completely from the motor and just started from scratch because I was frustrated.

The distributor is not 180 degrees out. I rolled the motor over three different times with a breaker bar, finger on #1 spark plug hole felt compression, lined up balancer to about 6 degrees to get me close.

I pulled a plug and grounded it to the header (later even used a test lead to ground because I didn't think it was grounding well enough) it produced a very weak orange spark. So weak it was barely getting to the other side of the spark plug and was very inconsistent. I am at a loss, the distributor has spark but its like its too weak to start the motor. I hate to say it but I think my new distributor is a dud.. I don't know what else the problem could be?

Timing good, firing order checked 6 times, power checked at distributor cap and module multiple times??
Anyone have any suggestions, I'm open to anything at this point. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

-Gavin