View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Big Daddy Bear

Engine question, which to look for & which to avoid?

Howdy,

Current project is temporarily sidelined while I deal with the results of someone's stupidity.

On Friday, my 2002 Tahoe was backed into while in line at the gas pumps. My insurance is processing the claim and I am thinking they will total it most likely.

Either way, I am planning on keeping it and probably getting a parts rig or the specific parts from craigslist or the local wrecking yards and replacing the damaged sheet metal myself as there was no mechanical damage.

So, if I can find a decent condition parts truck, Tahoe or Suburban, what would be the best year/engine combo to try and find? Or more importantly avoid?

I am finding several affordable 1988-98 rigs, in various running and or driving condition. If there is a particular engine in this group, I wouldn't mind picking up another rig that I can use for a future project, as I can always find the sheet metal pieces I need here and there.

My thoughts are to salvage the additional engine and anything else that I can later use in a project, then part out and scrap the left overs.

I honestly do not have any real knowledge about the LS/LT/Vortec engines, which to seek out or avoid and reading various pages and forums, get and ranges of answers...so I figured I would post the question directly here, and see what folks have to say.

Thanks!!