View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #148
tristan

Re: Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom

Now that painting is imminent (!) I am moving on the interior of the Jimmy. It was a big day today - I stopped by the restoration shop and picked up the front and rear seats, door panels, console and visors. They are now all at the upholstery shop where teardown will soon begin. My original rear side panels are a mess and I am going to replace them.

I got prices on replacement seat covers, door and rear side panels and carpeting from the board vendors as well as a couple of big catalog vendors. Prices are all over the place so I am still mulling over where to order.

My one do-it-yourself piece of the interior is making over my leveling mats. I had one or two reusable ones in the Jimmy and got 3 others from Harry Huda. All of them were filthy and cracked to varying degrees. I scrubbed them down, glued the cracks up with airplane glue and contact cement, and then gave them two coats of hand-rubbed Armorall. No one will ever see them again once the carpet is in place but I tend to fixate on even hidden parts. Here are a couple of before and after shots.
Attached Images

tristan is offline   Reply With Quote