View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
hemi43

Re: Leaf spring to bump stop dimensions

I'll post my dimensions tomorrow when I get under the truck. You can do your own front end alignment with a measuring tape, because that's the only adjustment there is.The caster and camber are built into the axle. With 33" tires I run 3/16" toe in. As I've mentioned on previous posts, caster shims make a huge difference. I have around 6 1/2 degrees of caster, and the truck is very stable. I got my springs re arched when I restored the truck, but I'm now thinking of replacing them with at least 3 leafs. Under heavy braking, the original 2 leaf springs tend to twist and causes the truck to veer slightly to the right. This is because the front axle is also twisting and cause the wheel to turn to the right a bit.

Another thing for you to check is around the steering box area. This area is prone to cracking at the box mounting holes. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth real hard and take a look if there's any box to frame movement. My truck only had 45000 miles on it, and it was cracked.

Last edited by hemi43; 07-16-2017 at 08:00 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote