View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #143
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Not much to report back other than the smiles per mile continue to add up to more than the smiles per cost per liter to run this beast.

Weather forecast is rubbish with intermittent rain and possibly storms, not that it should stop me really, there is always something that needs doing.

Have I mentioned that I really do like (that's better than love) my wife Nicola??

This week they started doing some remodeling at her work, clearing out a lot of old equipment and stuff that is no longer fit for purpose.

They had an 8 meter deep skip that was filled with chairs, furniture and much much more.

At some point she went outside and got a bollocking from the judges of the County Court who they share a car park with for firstly having a large skip on site and secondly....... the local jobless alcoholics had removed all the chairs from the skip and taken them down to the "beach" on the River Medway to have a party..... OOOOPPPss?

Well, in pursuit of the chairs some steel cabinets had been dragged out of the skip and set down next to it..... when the chairs were returned and the skip collected, the steel cabinets had not been returned to the skip.

Nicola saw them, and immediately took a couple of pics she texted to me with just one word : "WANT??" Of course I said yes as I still have some old wooden bedroom wardrobes in the garage to replace with steel cabinets. She then got some of the funeral directors and bearers to drag them back indoors for me to collect later.

Did I mention I liked my wife ??

Went to fetch them the next evening at about 7pm with Mickey riding shotgun to help me load them.....

Today I will unload them and empty one more wardrobe and replace it with a steel cabinet.

Garage is getting there.

Last night after work I popped over to my mate Martin who had bought a 1965 LWB Fleetside C10 truck about the same time as we got ours. He works in the "Disability motor vehicle conversion business" Interestingly, he and his wife have two Mazda MX5's as well, so we seem to have a fair amount in common. He had managed to get some brand new loose car mats for my truck and Nicola's MX5 from dealers who remove them prior to conversion to hand control etc. So I popped over to look at what his cars looked like etc.

While chatting about various things including the last weekend towing the Grizz-Pod with the truck I mentioned I was going to remove the small but ineffective round mirrors and replace them with the slightly larger (unattractive to me) rectangular ones. He offered to pick me up a pair of heads when he is in the USA later in the year (so I get to keep my stalks and mountings) as they are only $10.00 each. He also showed me the mirrors that had been on his truck when he got it, I suspect they are moderns, ugly but functional.
Later in our discussions it turned out that his glove box was missing its "liner" so I offered him some 1.2mm ally plate to make one, in the end he suggested that if I made him a new liner, he would trade me for the mirrors if I was interested...... Typically I agreed. He also offered to fit Rivnuts to my door once I have done the paint and repairs as part of the deal.

I will make a mounting plate for the large mirrors, which has a 4 hole mounting plate that will fit the standard 3 screw/nut fitting, and with the Rivnuts in place I will be able to remove the standard mirror when I want to to the Teardrop long distance. The Rivnuts will just mean that I can remove the mirrors without losing the thread in the door.

Martin had these mirrors on his truck when he bought them..... Soon to be mine.

This weekend I want to make two if these smoker cookers from old gas bottles.

My mate Woodsie works in demolition and a lot of the stuff they remove from sites have to go into skips and be "recycled" (read: exported to China and turned into cars)so when I showed him the pics I took at a car show a while ago, he was game for me making us each one as well. Fair trade.
He is off to fetch a new used motorbike for his wife this morning, but my drop in later to drop of the bottles he rescued.

This is what I will be aiming at.

This was just after the smoker/cooker was loaded.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote