Thread: 47-55.1 Brake lines
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
MiraclePieCo

Re: Brake lines

Yes, making brake lines is a good beginner project. It's fun and easy. And yes you'll throw away a bunch of tubing when learning, but the stuff is cheap - much cheaper than taking a class or paying someone else to do it. The biggest pitfall is forgetting to put the nut on the tube before flaring - even experts do that. I use a cheapo Harbor Freight-style flaring tool - built four cars with it.

Practice bending a couple of tubes and figure out exactly how much length that both inside and outside bends will add or subtract from the length. Forget doing a coat-hanger pattern - just measure the distance to your next bend, add or subtract the bend radius, mark your tube and bend. Example: my bender does a 5/8" radius bend, so I measure the distance to the next bend, subtract 5/8" from that (inside bend), mark the tube and bend. The outside of the tube will then fit perfectly at the right spot.

The secret to a good flare is preparation of the tubing end. Cut tube with a tubing cutter, then lightly file the outside edge and buzz a drill bit into the center hole to remove any burrs. INSTALL THE NUT! Oil your flaring tool liberally where it enters the tube end. Flare slowly, allowing the metal to conform.

BTW, "pre-fitted" brake lines are not pre-fitted; they are just manufactured to specific lengths, all of which will be very unlikely to be the length you need. Yes, you can re-use most of your old brass fittings, but new fittings cost just pennies so you won't save much. Sure use the C10 prop valve; should work good for a similar weight vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-16-2018 at 10:19 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote