Thread: 47-55.1 Brake lines
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
dsraven

Re: Brake lines

i have done many reworks or line replacements in my time. the easiest and best looking jobs come from te
he premade lines from the parts store. they come straight-bonus-and the flares are done properly-another bonus because they don't usually leak-and they don't suck up time that could be spent doing something productive on the project. honestly, it is like sanding the whole project with a hand sander, start to finish, because the hand sanding paper is cheaper. it's your truck and you do what you want but the prebuilt lines are so much easier to use and look much better usually. I say usually because there are guys with their back up already that have spent the TIME to make it look good and they deserve the kudos BUT, there are also the backyard jobs that look backyard whether home made or bought lines. it depends what you want. the other thing is, home built or bought lines, use fittings that will enable you to replace a line easily if you are on the road somewhere. you won't have the rented flaring tool with you.
if it is me, I buy the lines and spend the time to bend them correctly. sometimes a flare needs to be done because the line is an odd size or has 2 different sized nuts on the same line but otherwise just buy them and use the time for something else.
up to you
try to have the lines all run so you don't have a low spot to trap air when bleeding
use rubber insulated frame clamps
keep the lines away from exhaust heat or areas prone to mechanical damage
always test the fittings for leakage. have your biggest buddy stand on the brake pedal and then look for any weeping or wet spots
torque all the fittings correctly, especially at the calipers and wheel cylinders
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote