View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #112
landarts
landarts

Re: Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
You have done some great dent repair and it sounds like you did it wicked fast too! That repaired fender looks great!
Actually I was surprised how fast it went, one more go over and it should be ready to shoot some color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
I would love to follow along with how you repair that fender. I have a similar situation with the stock one from my truck. I imagine you are cutting it so you can get to the back side to do the metal work on it?
No cutting needed to fix the dent that was crushed in. When the fender is removed from the wheel well there is complete access to the backside for fixing. In picture 1 you can see how much it is pushed in. Picture 2 is another spot that was dented and was able to get access from backside. Picture 3 shows the original dent pushed out and a few more dings that need attention.

Here is what I did with the picture 1 dent. I heated up with Map gas to get the metal a little more excited to move. I did this in a circular motion and not hot enough to burn paint off. Then I started working it with a piece of hardwood and a hammer. I just kept doing this process until I had most of it pushed bak into place, switching to different size pieces of wood so that I was not adding more dents to the fender. Also trying to go slow so that I did not create a bunch of high spots on the other side. Once I got it to where I thought it was good enough to start working the front side I sprayed a little bit of etching primmer on it in that area. After it dried i sanded to reveal high spots, then knocked down with a pick hammer and dolly. I also used a metal file in a few spots. Proceeded with a few coats of Rage Ultimate filler.

Picture 2 dent was hammer and dolly only, That dent came out really nice and need minimal filler to get it to blend.

Picture 3 dents were all small dings almost evenly spaced, so I used a hammer and dolly for most of that and laid the filler in one long path. Knocked it down with a longboard to reveal low spots, then filled one more time.

Picture 4 shows the fender after some sanding with longboard and a long thin Durablock. Sprayed with Martin Senour Tec Ultimate etching primer.

I am a novice at this and learning something new every time I attempt another repair. The way I do it may not be the correct way but it works for me. I do enjoy the challenge in rebuilding and fixing these old trucks, I guess my greatest asset would be that I am not afraid to dive into something that I never have done before.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote