Thread: 49 GMC w/a 250
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Volfandt

Re: 49 GMC w/a 250

Good try on the Ramair. Unfortunately it's flat base plate won't work around the linkage and vent. They make a blank plate version which may be interesting.
Home made just may be the way I've got to go.

Spent a good portion of a day troubleshooting vacuum leaks. Used carb cleaner to help narrow it down. Was able to narrow it down to 2 spots, the PCV vacuum stub in the intake manifold at ports 3/4 and a hardline fitting installed in the intake manifold just below the carb. The hardline was cut and connected to a soft line to the power brake booster.

Pulled the carb to get at the 3/4 stubb. It is pressed in but I could barely wiggle it so I pulled it, cleaned it and the boss up, applied a coating of Permatex Aviation sealer and pressed it back it. I then mixed up a batch of JB Weld and sealed it up to the manifold. Letting it set up a couple days before testing.

On the other I couldn't find another fitting and the original was pitted and had alot of deposits on and in it. Since the carb has a large vacuum port available I decided to plug the manifold and use the carb source.

Otherwise the engine seems to run pretty good.
I believe the TH350 tranny wasn't original to this engine. When I went to hook up the kickdown linkage it wouldn't reach the carb linkage and mount in the proper place on the valve cover. But it did seem long enough if it were going to connect to a center mount carb like what is found on a V8 or V6. Will have to research whats involved to swap the cable.
Attached Images

Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote