View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
Carmen Black

Re: AAW wiring help !

The kit is really great. You can really tell who ever put the kit together had a lot of experience installing it. Whenever I thought I was going to encounter a major problem, you could tell they had already thought of it and solved it.

I was hoping to install the kit in stages like cab, front, rear. You cant really do that. While the kit is pretty much plug and play to the truck, it does not plug into the old harness at all. So once you start, you have to do the whole kit. It was not hard at all, but it takes a lot of hours.

There is no provision in the kit for an ammeter. If you have an ammeter in your truck, there will be no way to hook it up. Something about high output alternators causing the ammeter to burst into flames.

Also, when I installed the kit, it would kill a fully charged battery in 2 hours. After learning everything about parasitic load testing, it turned out to be the alternator. One of the small metal boxes that I pulled off the firewall with the old harness was the external regulator for the alternator. Without it, the battery would just drain. I didn't see a way to hook it back into the kit, so I just installed an internally regulated alternator and it worked great.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote