Thread: 47-55.1 *Steering Wheel Centering*
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
mr48chev

Re: *Steering Wheel Centering*

First thing we need to know (I'm old I forget what folks have on their trucks) is what suspension and steering you have.

With independent you can do just as Joedoe said and center the wheel, screw the side that is toed out in and screw the side that is toed in out. EXACT EQUAL TURNS. I've done that thousands of times when I was aligning a front end and if you don't center the wheel in the process of alignment you haven't done a correct alignment.

If you have the I beam axle and don't have an adjustable drag link You will have to remove the wheel and center it and need the correct lock plate removing tool to do it. I used to be able to hold the plate down with my thumb and remove the snap ring but that was 40 years ago when I was about 4 times stronger than I am now.

This is the lock plate tool that I bought at Autozone or O'Reilly's when I couldn't find my good one last year. Basically you screw it on the column and then push the lock plate down by tightening the wing nut. Once you have the lock plate down far enough so that you can get to the snap ring you pry the snap ring off. They usually give you a fight and one of those O ring hooks from Harbor freight works reasonably well to pull it out and up out of the groove.

As they said though, that lock ring is designed so it only goes back in one place and you don't have a lot of wiggle room with the plastic piece that is the signal canceling and horn connection piece. I went out and looked for one of my old clunker tilts but think I hauled them all for scrap a while back. I am not sure if you can file out a tooth on the inside so you can move the plate a notch. I'm not sure how much you can elongate the hole that the turn signal connector comes though either but that might be a possility.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote