View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 68 C10 Yellow wire from firewall to starter/coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone View Post
Thanks for getting back to me. At this point I've hooked everything up just as it is in the diagram, alternator turned out to actually be a 3 wire and I set it up like everyone has suggested. However.... now when I go to start it I can't get it to fire (I checked the plugs and I have spark. I also have 12 volts at the distributor). Either the purple wire or the main lead to the starter began to smoke after I attempted starting it. I disconnected the purple thinking the connection may be bad, tried again, still smoking.

Thoughts anyone, please and thank you for the help
Cranking the engine for extended periods will send a lot of amps through the wires. The battery cable carries as much as 200 amps and the small purple wire can carry up to 10 amps. This generates a lot of heat. If your wires aren't burning the insulation off then it's normal for them to get warm under these conditions.

If you have spark and 12 volts at the distributor then you have a timing problem not a charging problem. Or you have a fuel delivery problem.

Quoted from your first post.
Quote:
The HEI wasn't setup even remotely correct (which I can now fix from what I read here, thank you)
Re check your distributor to piston timing you may have the distributor installed 180* out.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote