View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
71chevswb

Re: 72 C10 - BBC vs. LS - What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
I say keep the 402, put a Holley or Fast or some sort of self managing Fuel injection system and then go with a 6l90e transmission with a stand alone controller. That is the coolest of the cool factor, but it is easy to spend your money and it sounds expensive.
I thought about this, seems like a decent option (best of both worlds) but if I go to the trouble of EFI (tank, electronics, etc...) might as well go LS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff67 View Post
I'm old enough to remember a big block truck and they do have a cool factor but if you want to actually use the truck daily and take long trips there is no choice ! I'll never go back . LS all day long
CLEAN SWAP! I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Hands down 6.0LS with 4L80 E and never look back. Old school is fine but if you want to drive the truck on long trips nothing will touch the LS. NOTHING even the BB want match the power and the gas milage.

I just got home from a 1800 mile trip in my 71 with 6.0 and 4:10 gears it was nice.
Don't get into the electronic stuff to deep. The computer doesn't need the truck dash gauges to run it.

GPS speedometer is the best and easy way. Speedhut.com is what I have and they are great.

Get you a scan gauge 2 also it plugs into the ECU and you have any info you need plus it will erase codes if you need it to. That's the water temp 177*, trans temp 179* with no fans running while moving, volts and closed loop.

My 71 ran 9hrs coming home from Mississippi Tuesday running 80MPH 2400 RPM's with AC on. Pictures are worth 1000 words. It was 85* outside that day. 15 MPG want no BB do that!
I've already got a scangauge, I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Go with the big block. I personally don't have a bb in my truck but I have one in my 66 ss chevelle. It's a mark Jones 467 540 hp . Holley avenger carb with 3.55 gears car will run all day at highway speeds and get 12 mpg. I did put in a roller cam so I can use any oil I chose.
That's the only modern upgrade.

love it when people say the new engines are more reliable. Well they are for the average owner who does or knows nothing about mechanics. I have more problems with my new vehicles than the older ones.

I bought these vehicles because they are old. And very easy to work on. I put 9k on my 72 last year . I did rebuild the transmission but that really was a choice more than a need. Slipped a little between 1 and 2nd . And who says these trucks can't run at 80 mph all day.
I have lived the high HP BBC c10 life. it was fun. and expensive. Would like to throw down some sweet road trips in this next build! See America in a classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Personally I think you nailed it.

402 all the way. Buy something more suited for trips and daily. Besides, unless you're long on old Chevy's, why put that on the road so often after a frame-off?
I love these old classic chevys, its what I grew up riding around in. I've always wanted to do cross country road trips in a classic! an LS build would allow me to use the pickup everyday and hop in and cruise across this beautiful country at the snap of a finger.

I like to build my projects to be DRIVEN. No sense having something nice and not using it? Whats the point....

Last edited by 71chevswb; 05-11-2019 at 05:33 PM.
71chevswb is offline   Reply With Quote