View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #106
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Rian is looking to mount his battery under the cab as I did (it cleans up the engine bay ) and has asked for a little more detail on my re-location.

I started with a side terminal battery so that I could get the battery as close to the underside of the floor as possible. The battery is 750 CCA so even in England where it gets pretty cold, I reckon more than enough for a my small block and at 10" x 6 1/2 x 7" fairly compact so ideal for slinging under the floor.

Name:  IMG_2133.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  42.6 KB

I made a cardboard battery, the same overall size as the one I was using, so that I could try various locations under the truck and decide where it would best fit (so much lighter than a real battery) eventually deciding upon the passenger side frame rail under the cab. One advantage of this location is that it is nearer to the starter motor than the original location so you can actually shorten the battery lead.

Name:  IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  32.0 KB

The carrier is a simple construction of 1 1/4" angle bar and flat bar, both 0.16" thick (4 millimetres) mounted to the frame with 5/16" stainless bolts (grade 8). I used button heads so they don't interfere with the battery.

Name:  IMG_2137.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  56.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2138.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2134.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  44.0 KB