View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 AM   #108
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Under the cab there is a strengthening rib which if you are using the same location as me will be your limiting factor. It runs rearwards from the front cab mount then it "kicks up", at this point you have the maximum height from the ground and about 18" from the "kick up" to the rear cab mount so you could actually fit a very long battery is this space. In my case the lowest point on the carrier is approx 8 1/2" below the rib and just under 8" from the rear cab mount.

Name:  IMG_2140.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  45.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2141.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2142.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  43.9 KB

The battery hold down is a piece of 1" angle bar with neoprene strips on the underside so as not to damage the battery case.

Name:  IMG_1699.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  43.5 KB

A couple of other points, if you were to remove the section of the rib immediately above the carrier (and re-brace with something smaller) you could gain another couple of inches and probably get the carrier level with the underside of the frame rail. Mine hangs below the frame about 1 1/2" which gives me plenty of clearance ( Ill be running a 4" and 5" static drop) This would be fairly easy if, like Martin, your cab is not mounted. Also, if you slotted the bolt holes in the carrier you could load the battery at a lower position, jack it right up under the floor and then tighten up the bolts in the higher position, as Rian was saying when we spoke you really only need to remove the battery to replace it.

Name:  IMG_1700.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  36.2 KB