View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Tod59

"New" '59 Fleetside!

Hi Everyone, my name is Tod and I recently purchased a '59 Fleetside shortbox. I had been trying to buy this truck for about a year, but we couldn't come together on price until just a few weeks ago. It runs, drives and stops great. Has a 6 cylinder and a "three on the tree".

The most unique "thing" about this truck is he shape the body is in. The truck was built in L.A. and lived most of it's life (until 1997) in Yucaipa, CA. This is one of the most solid bodies I've ever seen, no rust or rot at all. Unbelievable I know.

I've been researching the truck history and ended up speaking with the what I believe to be the 2nd owner. She said her and her husband bought the truck in 1973 for $400 from the used car lot of Hatfield Buick-GMC, which is still in business and I've sent the Owner Bill Hatfield an email requesting any information he may have about the purchase (if the records still exist). California owner even emailed me four pictures of the truck in 197?

California owners sold truck in 1997 to a guy from Constantine Michigan (found his number on line and have been trying to contact him). He flips the truck in 1998 to a guy who lives in my town, this owner completely tears the truck down to the frame (found all these names on documents in glovebox). Sadly, this owner passes away from cancer before truck is completed. Another family member inherits the truck and he too passes away while truck is torn apart. Then the owner I bought truck from buys truck from estate and reassembled the truck. I bought the truck from him. I reached the son of the person who passed from cancer and he is delighted with the history and story I've found out so far. He said that truck was the only thing keeping his father going when the disease was ravaging him. His father invested a lot of money in the truck, but it never got finished. I told him that I too love the truck and I'll build it in tribute to his father.

This introduction is already too long, so here are a few pictures. I have lots of questions and look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you.
#1 Previous owner assembling truck
#2 In California 197? (from 2nd owner)
#3 Day I bought truck and brought it home
#4 Solid passenger side area
#5 Previous owner photo
Tod
Attached Images

Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote