View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
rkn463

68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

OK, I've been threatening to post this for a while but I knew the truck would be on hold for long periods of time so I held off until I got to some real progress. I'll start with the story and it is a bit long so bear with me...

I always wanted a hotrod Chevy pickup and I fell in love with the 37 to 40 models. That vintage truck around here is really scarce so I just kept my eyes open for a project. Finally one day several years back I see an ad for a 40 model 1.5 ton. I went and looked at it and although it was a basket case I had the cash and a place to let it sit so I bought it. I can't seem to find anything with a date on it but I think that was probably around 2006. The truck is old and rusty and no bed on it, being a 1.5 ton it is dual rear wheels and big wheel wells. So... I was thinking hotrod pickup but fell in love with the original configuration and started speculating on what I really wanted to build. I did a few web searches and found the Stovebolt sight and a post there ultimately led me to this forum. Anyway time goes on and I decide I want a big "modern" 6 cylinder and the 292 was my choice. It just so happens that a friend has a 67 C50 grain truck witha 292 that has been sitting derelict on our land for several years and I talk him in to selling it to me for a fair price and then there were two. Here are pictures, I lost my hard drive and all of the original pictures of the 40 so the one I have is recent, please ignore the late model bed resting on it, that is just to keep the bed off the ground.
Attached Images