View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
TXBoudy

'72 Project Deplorable

Decided to start a build tread on this ole girl. After searching for 6 months, I found her for sale on craigslist just outside my backyard in Oklahoma. The PO was building himself a keeper so I think found the best start I could have ever hoped for. It never hit the road so EVERYTHING previously bolted to the chassis is still in new or rebuilt condition. Whole rig's got less than 15 miles on it, I'm so excited to have found this truck.

Where I'm starting:
- SB400 roller with forged internals, ARF heads, Edlebrock intake, Demon carb, Doug's Tri-Y headers, TH400, and mild cam for daily driving. Haven't dyno'd her but PO tells me it's north of 450 HP.
- Zero rust. Cab and one bed side is the only piece original to the chassis and had all poor areas repaired although he started with the best condition cab he could find. Fenders, doors, bed, and other metal are all either new or cherry picked from other trucks. Slant nose hood, markers and gas fill deleted, and early grill. Body is ready to start blocking for paint.
- Dropped 4/3 with spindles and rear springs from Early Classics. Panhard bar and shocks also from Early Classics. 5 lug with disk brake conversion with calipers and rotors from mid 80's along with a 1 ton front sway bar. All new bushings, tie rods, and ball joints.
- 15" Salt Flats with 275/60 and 235/70 tires. Mercedes bucket seats with OEM center console. No A/C, heat, or radio.

Where I'm going:
- Engine is going to have to stay, too much bang for the buck already there. I will however elevate the bump stick and massage the top end for flow. An upgrade to a Vortec serpentine set-up will actually be first on my list as I already commandeered the parts. I'll do a separate how-to thread on the conversion to save future guys from the exhaustive research and confusing information that I came across. Vintage Air parts will immediately follow the serpentine conversion with another how-to thread explaining part numbers and what to and not to order from Vintage Air to accommodate for the late model serpentine system. T-56 certainly in the future because I'm a road racer so it's a must.
- Doors will get the Brother's one piece window kit and bonnieclyde100's power window upgrade/modification. Also want Fesler's flush mounted glass set but waiting to see it in person. Body will get an extensive blocking with a decent paint job, it won't be a pure show truck.
- Custom leather interior with high end audio.
- Suspension will be changed to a C4 front from Flat Out but not sure about the final rear end configuration yet. Truck will be lowered to 6/5 and will ride on coil overs as it will see occasional track time.

The ride home:
Attached Images

TXBoudy is offline   Reply With Quote