View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 AM   #266
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: My 1965 build thread

I picked up my rear end today and I got it painted. No pix of it yet. One of my axles where pitted where the wheel bearing rolls. My builder told me there is another bearing with the seal made into it and it relocates the bearing to roll in a different area. Here are the normal replacement parts.

Here is the bearing seal combo that he used to relocate the bearing

I got my rear control arm bushings today. Hear is how I pressed the old one out (with some heat). I did that prior to painting. I am in the process of pressing them in in the pic. If you plan on using a poly bushing you need to leave the outer shell in the control arm. The inner will come out first. I had to remove the outer shell prior to installing a replacement bushing. I used a cold chiesel and went around shell next to the control arm on both flanges to shrink the shell. It drove out fairly easy after doing that. Take care not to deform it. It can be used to press the new one in.

While pressing I wedged a 2X4 between the ears so they don't collapse.

I also got my A arm bumpers. The lowers were actually a OEM part. Which leads me to believe you can get them from GM. I don't know if they will be any cheaper.

I also got some better gauges off of ebay. Mine are rusty and dingy.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote