View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
gearhead2069

Re: Starting a new build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerSid View Post
Progressive Automotive makes a Vette cross member that installs like the Art Morison cross member and doesn't require such a big notch in the frame for the rack. They use a different rack where as Flatout uses the Vette rack. Using a Vette rack requires a larger notch in the frame because the rack is positioned higher up on the cross member.

The Art Morison and Progressive cross members may require less frame work to install but the Flatout cross member comes completely welded up, square etc but requires a bit more frame work to install. 6 of one half a dozen of the other I guess.

It's just my opinion but all three would be great choices but you'd be money ahead using Vette parts. Part of your decision will be how much work do you want to put into installing either parts. Morison will be weld in cross member and install new parts. Vette parts will require cleaning and possibly installing new bearings, tie rods ends etc.
I believe the Art Morrison IFS comes welded up as well in the way you said the Flat Out system does. I only know this due to an article I was reading on the kit.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...p_truck_build/

It just seemed easy in comparison to the Flat Out kit as I remember someone posting before that the instructions left a bit to be desired. Though, I really can't argue with you stating that I'd be coming out ahead on the cost... I guess I'll have to make some additional considerations...

As far as handling goes, do you think they would be similar or would I possibly have a little more out of one over the other? My only rational was that with the AME kit, I may have a little better geometry as that kit was designed for this chassis were as with the vette, I'm simply doing a retrofit. I was thinking the front suspension would be a bit more sensitive to that issue over the rear.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it...
gearhead2069 is offline   Reply With Quote