View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Crew Cab build preview...

I guess since people are subscribed I should add something useful to the thread...

Last night I mocked up the "B" pillar on the drivers side. My plan is to cut down a drivers side door to make the 4th door so with that in mind I figured I would use a truck cab "A" pillar hinge area which should give me, strong hinge mounts, formed structure for the door jamb area, courtesy light pin switch location and weather-strip mounting lip.

As you have seen in other crew cab builds they have made their own "B" pillar to match the passenger side, I think that is too time consuming and I don't care if both sides are an exact symmetrical match so chose this method.

The suburban "B" pillar has the following problems to solve.

Its narrow and needs to accommodate, the hinges with door full open stop and the latch nut plate for the front door. Problem is the front door latch and the upper hinge is at the same height.

I will modify the front door latch nut plate to take up less space front to rear and put the door full open stop on the lower hinges. I will use front door hinges and cut off the front mounting bolt tab from the hinge and the "B" pillar, similar to the passenger side hinges. (only 2 bolts on each hinge to pillar attachment.

I will post a couple pictures of the solution tonight.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote