View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #39
520-k5

Re: project orange crush 76 crewcab build

So to recap for future reference and or for any one who is looking to do the shortbed conversion. You measure 7" from the back of the cab mount then mark and cut your 14" whether you straight cut,45° slant Cut or z cut. There should be 10.5 inches from center to center of the first and 2nd set of bed bolt holes. take a minimum of 3" off the back and measure check your fitment. The shortened wheel base should now be 150.5" for a crewcab shortbed if done right your 1st set of bed bolts should drop right in. Your 2nd set will be drilled through the crossmember. The 3rd set of bolts should drop right in and lastly drilling your 4th set of bolt holes.

Our mistake in measurements ended up making my install one of a kind and not the ideal truck to copy from unless you like creating more work and moving the axle back. But the process is still the same I had the opportunity to use my friends shop and we used his lift to support the truck while we cut it but everything we did could be done at home with Jack stands and shims etc. Out of the 3 methods of cutting plasma,cut off wheel and sawzall the sawzall in fact gave us the cleanest smallest cutting gap without having to grind slag from the plasma off.
520-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote