View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Re: Premium wood bed kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
If you decide to try it, you'll want to brush on the spar varnish. Some people spray it, but I just didn't have the equipment to do it. One of my best friends owns a cabinet shop and he also suggested brushing it on to get better coverage. (Doesn't make sense to me either .. just what he suggested) I'm guessing the bristles get into the grain of the wood better than spraying but who knows man.
Not sure what your friend's reasoning was,but I would agree,based on my own reasons. Yes,the brush will likely give better penetration. But,maybe he meant you'll get a far better coating,because you will. Brushing puts so much more material down than spray. Polyurethanes level out and brush marks disappear,so no advantage to spray. I'd steel wool between coats and be sure to get very clean before recoating. For head finish I'd use Minwax Helmsman. That stuff can be built up like resin for a deep coating and will hold up like none other.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote