View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
k5kev

Re: Project: 1972 502 HO 4x4 Suburban

Okay, so now you're up to date on the body. Let me go back and get up to speed on the frame/chassis.

I wanted to make this a 4x4, and at first I was looking into converting the 2wd frame to 4x4. I was having a hard time finding the leaf spring hangers, and I figured out from this site that the wheelbase and frame from a longbed truck is basically the same as a suburban. I found a 4x4 longbed frame locally for $300, and bought it. It was already sandblasted and powdercoated. This I think turned out to be one of the decisions I made. Way less work than converting a 2wd chassis, plus I wasn't going to use any of the stock 2wd drive train stuff anyway.

As soon as I got the truck frame I hung some 4" Tuff Country front springs and 6" rear springs. Also picked up a 14 bolt rear 4:10, put in a detroit locker and disc brake conversion. And bolted up a Dana 60 front, open w/ 4:10's.

I lost the pics I had of the frame, springs, and axles only, so your getting a peak at some of the other upgrades I made.
Attached Images

k5kev is offline   Reply With Quote