View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
andyh1956

Re: 6.2 fuel sending unit problems

Reason I said that is this:
My neighbor called one day & said he installed a new fuel pump on his diesel dodge & it wouldn't pump fuel.
The pump he installed went into the tank but his old pump was still on his engine mounted to his fuel filter! WTF???
So I got to looking & sure nuff was a wiring harness on the truck to the pump / sender but the old unit was just a sender. Again, WTF???
Got to looking more & there was OEM wiring to the sender for a pump & pump wiring left new pump / sender & made it's way forward to just behind driver inner fender to plug there but no wiring from that plug forward. I had to use the old pump wiring to trigger a relay to provide voltage to the forward plug back t new in tank pump.
then had to remove old pump from filter canister, drill & tap pipe thread & install a hose barb to hook fuel line to filter.
Voila!
Cummins don't service the filter mounted electric pump anymore so this is how you get it done now.
Whoda thought all that had to happen just to change a transfer pump?
After seeing this it wouldn't sprise me none if they don't make but three sender / pump units for all trucks out there.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote