View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Mike 85
Face your fears

Re: best steps for three foot deep paint job

Adding/stepping CLEAR to do a BLEND is about THE worst possiable way to do this as possiable.
This is what intercoat or binder/blender is for.
90% of what YOU watch on TV is CRAP outside of maybe,Trucks,as Kevin knows his stuff.The other's,I would not let those 'tards within 100' of my work.
Exceptional paint work takes a LOT of TIME and WORK and it will not be done in a "couple of days".
sevt,draggin,87,blitz,Randy, are on it.
DEPTH comes from exceptional bodywork first and then it's up to WHAT paint line your using as well as application.
Urethane WAVE is your worst enemy.You go stacking multiple coats of clear and being human,you NEVER apply it EVENLY or the product saggs due to temps or overapplication and this DISTORTS the viewing pleasure your wanting achieve. Your simply applying/building "plastics" and if it's not done evenly,you'll make waves.It's like old glass window panes that when you look thru them are funky due to the way they were produced.Blocking the initial clear coats will achieve a FLAT surface to build your "mirror/window" on.All clear is,is a magnifier of what's under it.So,The "straighter" your window pane,the better/deeper it is.
Couple of the best "deep" jobs I have done was with both bc/cc and SS/clear.
Both Black and achieved exceptional results.
The bc/cc was done as Randy described basically,but cut the clear with 600 wet and flow coated with SPI MS clear,2 coats.The 2nd was with SS Black SPI paint,2 coats,blocked with 600 wet and 2 coats of SPI Universial clear and left as shot with an Iwata LPH-400LV 1.4.
BTW,The ss/clear was my lawnmower which is in the SPI tech manual.
As for airbrush flames,Look left.

My Junk
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote