View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #18
bighaas79

Re: Help before I go crazy. 99 suburban 5.7 vortec wont start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
That cspi system is a sealed assembly, meaning you can unplug the fuel lines, unhook the main wiring harness, replace the fuel pressure regulator and that's it. There are no individual injectors per say, it is a spider assembly that has fuel lines that plug into the intake and the main wiring hookup and fuel line hookups and beyond the regulator is non serviceable.
So if you dont have the GM service plug to hook up a diagnostic meter to that main plug the next best way I know to test it is to pull off the upper (plastic) intake, pull the little hoses out of the lower(aluminum) intake and leave them out where you can see them. Hook the main fuel lines up, the wiring back up,unplug the coil wire from the distributor so it doesn't start and crank it over to see if it is spraying fuel out of the 8 little lines. If nothing then you have to replace that cspi spider assembly with a known good unit and repeat the test to see if it sprays fuel.
If you still have no fuel spray the problem is in the wiring or pcm and the way we find that is to hook up our Modus and test the system from the diagnostic port first and if thats good it's a wire by wire test from the PCM to the system and very time consuming, not to mention very unlikely unless the wiring got damaged in the engine swap. Do keep in mind here this is a 5 volt system on the computer system, DO NOT apply 12 volts to any part of the PCM system as that ruins parts fast.
Whoa wait a minute here. I'm not trying to pick on you directly, but alot of what I want to address is in your post thats why I pulled it. Theres alot of things that have been mention in above posts, and in this one that are things to check, but you are getting way more difficult than needs be.

First of the injectors. I have seen this style of injector, actually end up with all 8 stuck after sitting just 7 months. And it used to be that you could get individual injectors thru gm and only replace the ones that are stuck, however you are much better off upgrading to the multec style kit that is available to eliminate these issues all together. Now as far as checking for stuck injectors, pulling the plenum and injectors all out to find out if they are working is very much time consuming and not necessary. Now rickpilgrim, if you have a Modis or to any of you if you have a bidirectional scan tool available to you. hook it up with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the test port. Go into the injector drop test. (for modis or snap-on users this is in the functional test menu.) Watch the fuel pressure for a drop when each injector is fired. If it drops it's good if it doesn't it's stuck. this is a quick maybe 5 min test that will tell you not only if any are stuck but which ones. This can also be used as a preliminary test as to if the wiring is good. Even if the injectors are stuck they will still make a faint ticking noise. If they either work or don't it will indicate if the wiring is ok. Now obviously if there is no noise whatsoever then you need to be looking elsewhwere for ther problem as has also been stated. I guess my point is you can check a bunch of things in just a few minutes, without taking anything apart. Don't make things harder than they need to be or possibly create more issues that might arise by taking stuff apart that doesn't need to.

However I haven't seen one shut off while running because of injectors just all of a sudden plugging up, so you still may have issues elsewhere.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote