View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
WasagaChris

Re: Scrap Truck to Race Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbill72 View Post
Welcome to the site. I would say I hate to see a truck destroyed at the track, but that is far better than the scrapyard. At least you're giving it one more chance at live. Looks like you aren't wasting any time getting it ready. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks Bill yes if it was in any better condition then we wouldn't race it. It was just rusting away at the back of the scrapyard. Long before we ever set eyes on it, the truck was rode hard and put away wet.
We found evidence of a pretty serious collision. The driver's side front frame horn has been patched in from some other frame. The driver's side windshield pillar has also been transplanted and the cab side above the gas tank shows evidence of a pretty hard hit.
Someone in the past also patched the cab corners and replaced the rockers rather poorly. They just slapped new rockers over the rusty old ones.
It must have been some time ago as all the repairs were brazed in. Who brazes nowadays anyway?
What we started with was a poorly repaired frame and a rusted out cab. No engine, trans or box so nothing we are using would ever have seen the streets again.
The goal at this moment is too get most of the heavy metal work done before the cold weather sets in here. It costs far too much to heat up my shop in the winter so that welding and body work can be done.
Over the winter a 350 and three speed manual trans will be implanted and then we can start setting up the suspension and braking for track use.
This is essentially street stock so we need to stay as close to what was available from GM in 1972 as possible.
WasagaChris is offline   Reply With Quote