View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #138
Gunslingertom

Re: 1966-81 Chevy H/J Series

Thought I'd show the extremely slow progress on my 7500.
I did find a windshield. In fact, my glass guy knew where 2 of them were, so I bought both of them.
I welded in a rear frame section out of an International school bus, so got rid of the old heavy 2 speed rearend and added air bags that I can control from the cab. Put a set of super singles on and plan on half fenders.
For the front, I put in a beam from a Freightliner with big brakes and bud wheels (that still need polished), removed all leaves down to the main leaves and added airbags, also controlled from the cab.
Dual chrome straight pipes behind the cab, with gasoline flame throwers almost completed.
The pics are all the way deflated. I think it looks pretty cool. I really wanted to Z-frame it, but decided I shouldn't tackle such a project on a heavy duty truck.
I plan to polish all the aluminum on the 6V53 Detroit. Then replace all the chrome (mirrors, door handles, clearance lights, etc.) with bright shiny new.
I'll hammer all the dents, dings and ripples out and acetylene weld patch panels where there are rust holes. I'll leave the patches and welds raw, add some rust then seal. The rest of the original "patina" will remain as it is.
I'm currently in search of a 27 foot Fruehauf aluminum trailer to pull behind it. I'll probably fix it up on the inside to camp out of.
I bought this truck for 500 bucks, running. It's been restored twice. All I wanted was the engine, but fell in love with the body style. I've been trucking for over 30 years and when I think of hot rods, I think of vintage trucks. So this is going to be my version of a rat rod.
Attached Images

Gunslingertom is offline   Reply With Quote