View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #83
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

Re: here's my new project soon to be "daily driver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
"Coil overs" are real popular in the hot rod crowd. They combine two functions in the space just a little larger than the shock itself, allowing the spring and shock to be attached on one mount making a much cleaner looking rear end on something like a T Bucket. The state-of-the-art coil overs have a threaded collar on the bottom that allows the spring rate to be adjusted.
I'm thinking in your case, they are the over-load springs. If you put on a set of medium/heavy duty shocks I think your ride would change dramatically.
thanks, I knew about coilovers I just never saw this classic version. I'm sure they would be good for hauling as overload springs but not so much for just a driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
Monroe used to make a load-adjusting, coil-over shock like that for these trucks but I don't know if they are still available. My truck, which used to have a slide-in camper, is still fitted with them.

Given the likely age of the your shocks, the lower ride height (they look bottomed out), and the compromised angle, I'd guess that a simple relocation kit and just about any shock would be a considerable improvement.

Which drop springs are those?
those are cpp 4 inch drop springs, I agree that relocaters and shocks should make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
with both of the above. Look like overload springs and I see them all the time on farm trucks, camper trucks, and trucks that hauled a lot in general...

The shock relocator kit is 55 and good drop shocks can be had for 35 for a pair if you shop around so under 100 will dramatically improve your ride....

Or...there is a thread on making the shock relocators using the existing ones with slight modifications...
Where can you get the drop shocks for $35 ? I saw the thread on adapting the original mounts and one on making new uppers out of 2 inch tubing and using the original lowers, I'm thinking about going that route.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote