View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #49
moregrip

Re: my C10 project....building a truck from a heap of parts

so after much contemplation I think my only way forward with this build is to actually build 2 trucks.

1st and primary truck is going to be a lowered 5 lug C10 using my current chassis and hopefully the motor/trans/rear end that came with it, barring any surprises. I will install my:
Belltech 4/6 lowering kit with shocks
PBFab 1" forward lower control arms w/stock rebuilt upper control arms
Wilwood front D52 calipers on stock diameter Raybestos rotors on Timken bearings
Rebuild the rear drum brakes and calipers, install the new stainless brake lines, new proportioning valve, new master cylinder and brake booster
Replace all ball joints, idler/pitman arms, and tie rods with Moog replacement parts
Install newer doors with power door locks/windows,
Install newer tilt column with cruise control and windshield wiper controls on the column
I would like to get the stock A/C system working again
Assess the condition of the SBC and TH350. If all checks out, rebuild the Quadrajet 4 barrel, re-use the Edelbrock performer intake manifold, find/fix all leaks and probably keep the stock exhaust manifolds running a budget dual exhaust system
Same sort of scenario for the transmission and rear end
For interior I'm leaning towards mostly stock but using aftermarket bucket seats and sound system
For exterior paint it will be most likely be a simple single color paint job using some sort of budget application system that's beginner friendly
Wheels and tires are undecided at this point

Some firsts for this builder (aka me) will be:

1. Doing all my own metal work
2. Doing all body work
3. Garage paint job
4. Successfully rebuild a Quadrajet carb
5. Install first ring/pinion and limited slip

I guess the theme of this build will be a true do it myself project.......As painful as it might be I want to do it all or as close to doing it all myself as I can possibly get! and it would be "REAL COOL" if she handles fairly decent at the end of it all.

The 2nd truck will be built using all the leftovers of the 1st truck or whatever I don't primary source in truck #1.......going in the direction of a solid driver mechanically, stock height, prettymuch stock everything, a good reliable daily driver with less focus on looks. This truck will in all likelihood be completed first and become my 15yr olds first truck when he turns 16, Dec of this year.

That's the general direction I'm headed, we'll see how well this 3 car garage of mine contains all this awesomeness!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)

Last edited by moregrip; 01-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote