View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Nodnarb76

Re: Daily Driving a Square Suburban

I did the same thing.
I'm 42 now and from the time I was 18 until I was 36, I always had expensive cars and the car notes to go with them.
In 2013 as the lease on my current car was coming up, I had a revelation.
I am and always have been pretty handy with cars. I loved fixing, and modifying just about every car I had owned.
Instead of getting another lease, or buying an expensive car, I decided to take the plunge and spend my next entire check on a Square Body Suburban.
I always wanted one, and figured It would be the ultimate car for any occasion.
As I was used to driving newer cars, I knew I would be dealing with problems and repairs on an older Suburban, but figured the money I was saving without a car note would more than cover any issues that may come up. Plus I did my research and found replacement parts were very cheap.
So in March 2013 I bought my 87 Suburban and started daily driving it.

After I bought it, I went to pick my kids up from daycare to show them the new truck, and it died on me.
Turns out the fuel gauge was broken and I ran out of gas (Lol welcome to owning an older truck!)

The gas mileage was horrible (got 9mph from the 454, 6 with the ac on).

But all things considered I was a great decision. 6 months later I bought a new house and moved everything I owned at the time with the Suburban and didn't need to rent a truck.

I daily drove it for 3 years and then decided to do the LS swap.
After all the time and money I put into the swap, it became too nice to drive everyday, and I bought a used Mini Cooper to daily drive.

But for 3 years It was great, I could move anything, I felt safe, my kids and my friends thought it was really cool. Plus I didn't have a car note which allowed me to spend $$$ on other things.

I say go for it, as long as you understand the $$$ you save on a car note, some of that $$$ will be going towards repairs here and there and you will be spending more on gas.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I chose a Square body Suburban for the same reasons you are considering and had to tell my story.

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote