View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
snj8198

Re: Duramax crate engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Steve, I haven't used any and I don't know anyone who has either. The last time I looked at the prices of the crate engines it was pretty high. Have you thought about finding a wrecked donor truck to start with?
Ya I have been searching and weighing my options between factory new, aftermarket new, and a reasonable mileage salvage. The fact is nothing is going to be reasonably priced for what I'm looking to do. Factory GM crate new gen diesels are about $17k and that's just for a drop in turn key motor without accessory drive kit, ecu, wiring harness, pedal, etc to make it run. Gale Banks kits start at $16k and come with everything ready to run but again this is base price. Finally, finding a totaled newer rolling chassis is tough because the body replacement cost is effective against the drivetrain cost. These totaled rigs get gobbled up at auction by shops who can drop a new cab on and resell the rig.

I don't like the new GM body styles nor the bells and whistles. I want the newer Duramax/Alison in a squarebody 3+3 dually flatbed and I'll add my own goodies and wants around it. I'm budgeting $40-45k and 2 years with the idea of half of the budget in the Duramax/Alison/Atlas alone. My current '71 has become a holding platform of a few goodies that can be used in the new build including running gear, braking system, wiring harness, etc. I'll run my D60/14ff. Money could be saved in stead of the Alison/Atlas if i can use my current NV4500/205 combo but I'm unsure what's available anymore clutch wise to stand up to this kind of torque or if pilot bushing diameters and bellhousing patterns are compatible. I am in homework mode.

I have been penciling out options on a build list of needs and wants. I might as well add another 50% for hidden costs too as many say. Maybe my head is in the clouds.

Last edited by snj8198; 04-20-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: thpelling and gramr
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote