View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: 1968 Suburban K20 Past & Present build

So, the next projects on the horizon for the Suburban is to swap the 4.57 gears for 4.10 gears and replace the wheels & tires with a better set.
The planned wheel & tire combo will be visually the same, just moving away from 16.5 wheels and a narrower tire.

I still have the original lock ring wheels that came with the Suburban, and I've had them sand blasted and rattle canned black. I don't think I will ever use them again, but I just can't get my self to throw anything away so they remain in storage.
The current wheels are 1969 vintage 16.5x10, they originally came on my neighbors 1969 Chevy long bed K20. He sold them to my Dad back in the 1970's, after he upgraded to Western slot mags and super swampers.
I have had them sand blasted, and powder coated satin black to resemble the clack lock ring wheels from a distance. But when I had the tires re installed, the shop could not balance them since all 4 are bent out of shape so much they are next to impossible to balance.
The plan now is to purchase all new 16" x 8" steel OE wheels, and then install a narrower BFG all terrain tire on them. Being manual steering, the wide tires do not do me and the steering gear any favors.
Attached Images

Last edited by vectorit; 06-28-2016 at 07:10 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote