View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #29
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Hard start question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
Thanx vette. So you are saying I wasted 40.00 on 2 gauge cables? Bummer.

No, no,no,no. It is never a waste to go more than needed. You can always use them on another project since you know that they are good.

I have the 3 bolts to the bellhousing. I looked for a high torque starter, but Summit only had a referb. OEM. I have the factory Muncie 4 speed.

Ah that explains a lot. You are probably running the 158 tooth standard flywheel so you would have the bell housing mounts. I am not sure if the BH mount puts the starter higher up and nearer to the headers but it seems as though they would. Man I cut my teeth on Chevy small blocks and standard shifts but over the years I have forgotten a lot of stuff.

It might be possible to change the 3 bolt nose cone over to a high torque starter body, which would be the same as bolting up a high torque unit. I don't know if it's possible but a little research should give you an answer. I'm curious to know what engine you have that has the bell housing mount but not the block mount. You might find a better answer in the engine section of the forum. I'll see if I can find the website that I pulled the pictures from. It explained a lot about the differences.

So what would you do now? I would hate to dump the starter I just paid 58.00 for (minus a 25.00 core) and if there actually is one out there, I have been unable to find it.
Well you have said you might change to rams horns and you could sell the headers or keep them for the next engine. Or you might be able to change the nosecone on the starter. The headers look good but unless you are racing they don't help much. I'll get flamed for that I'm sure.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote