View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #111
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

It seems as though the PO's answer to EVERYTHING was rust, seams, or dents, MUD THEM UP!
I am glad that I discovered this early on, and questioned all of the bodywork before just moving on in the build...I would rather do this correctly right-now, than to re-work things after the truck is painted...I told my dad that I would be done with bodywork, if I didn't have to fix all of the F-ups.
Sooooo, over 200 welds across the front of the hood to keep things on the seams intact, pulled, hammered & dollied dents to beat the band, & also shrunk metal in a few spots that were tin-canning, so that I could get to FLAT!
THIS HOOD WAS A POS! But I convinced myself that I was saving something on the point of extinction. I'm taking the long road on this, but I will be proud when all of the work is completed!
First pic shows an area that was mudded-up about 3/8" thick. I ground it all out & made a slide-hammer attachment in order to pull the dents out, and hammered & dollied the rest, then welded the seams to give support, so that the filler doesn't crack....If time wasn't an issue, I would look for a different hood!
Attached Images

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote