View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Re: Classic Car Insurance for a Daily Driver?

I've been at the receiving a screwing end of USAA when one of their policy holders was blatantly in the wrong,and all I'll say is they are a far cry from any level of honor to be associated with the military. And those who have used them have told me they have a one strike and you're 86'd policy.

I don't believe there is any classic insurance company that will allow you to do what your state's classic registration won't allow, use as a daily driver. There needs to be an in between tier for that. I realize there are those driving old bombers that just made the age requirement who are skirting around inspections and there is no special interest element in their possessed vehicle. But what about the guy who prefers to drive, on occasion, their pride and joy highly maintained vehicle to do whatever they damn well please? This tier would require the same safety inspection as with late-model regularly registered vehicles. Why should we pay full price for a registration and insurance on a vehicle that sits all winter (not to mention no winter accident risk), gets gone through before hitting the road in spring (unlike all the late-models driven through winter), and is carefully driven where ever it goes. And the repairs end of a normal policy puts your unrestored classic as an old vehicle not worthy of a few thousand dollars to repair? Here in MD they only require safety inspection at change of ownership. I drove the '92 GMC I factory ordered for 22 years and went 330k miles without any inspection. In that time I had rusted out brake lines, fuel lines, break issues, worn steering... many issues that would not pass an inspection that many people ignore till a wheel falls off. I just don't see what these laws are protecting. I understand no commercial use, but chores, visiting, traveling? Isn't this a free country? Who am I hurting? I've always driven vehicles of classic age and it wasn't to go sit at a show or be in a parade. They are what I chose to drive and enjoy DRIVING. Better cared for than newer vehicles yet with regular insurance good luck getting full coverage. There most definitely needs to be something in between and SEMA needs to get on the ball on that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote