View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
LukeC10

Re: How to adjust steering wheel position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
the 2wd box has 3 or 4 master key spots depending on box style over the years for most all brands . so moving 1 spline is not a option .
Thanks for this, tried pulling the pitman arm off the bottom of the steering box gear today, real pain had to put a heavy duty puller on it. There are 4 flat key type spots spaced out evenly every 1/4 of the gear - however, when I turned my steering wheel 1/4 of a turn the gear only moved a few millimeters... I didn't take into account that the steering box must have a gear reduction and will not output an even 1/4 turn of the shaft onto the lower gear, so that was a complete bust. Thought for sure that had to be it as previous owner replaced the steering box; still think the new or remanufactured box may have its two gear outputs aligned slightly different than the stock box causing this issue. So wanted to post this so anyone reading is aware that there is a gear reduction in that box, to reach the next key on the lower pitman arm gear would likely require 1-full turn of your steering wheel or something in that area.

So at this point it looks like the ONLY way to adjust your steering wheel position would be with tie rod adjustments, not sure I want to go down that road so guess may just pay a shop to mess with alignment and do the tie rods! Thanks for the help guys.
LukeC10 is offline   Reply With Quote