View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #80
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Name:  IMG_6769.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  60.6 KB
Longest drive yet, 16 miles! Friday after work decided to take a longer drive than my typical neighborhood loop or run to the auto parts. I know 16 miles isn't a real test, but it was the longest, furthest and fastest i've driven the Boomstick yet. So i was excited to pull back into the garage with all the gauges where they should be, 170 degree temp, 30-40 psi oil pressure and constant 14+ volts. The best part was the stretch of road where i got her cruising at 50-55 mph, she handled it like a dream.

A few issues are still needing to be worked out. The biggest is my front wheels and there backspacing. Whenever there is a sudden jolt in the front suspension, pot hole or dip in the road, there is a teeth clenching sudden screech. I'm pretty sure its the lower control arm slamming into the inside of the rim. The wheels have about 6.5" of backspacing and are super close to the control arm. Gonna play with some spacers to see if i can push them out enough to clear.

Also hearing a noise from the front passenger brake when applying pressure. It sounds like something is rubbing a the speed of the wheel, but only when i'm on the brake, as soon as i let off it goes away. the rotor is clean and doesn't show a scrapes or grooving as if a rock was in there. I'll have to pull wheel and investigate further.

On saturday a neighbor was getting rid of some plywood, so i grabbed it and made a temporary bed. The weathered, used and aged look of the sheets fit perfectly with the look of the truck. And having a "solid" bed without all the metal straps and bolts clanking around make driving a much quieter experience. I use the extra bed fenders for the templates and some new carriage bolts. It's a good solution until i can do a proper wood bed.

I also rewired the ignition switch to the dash wire harness. the PO had, as with many other locations, done a shoddy job of crimping and extending the wires, so i got everything soldered and shrink wrapped and it looks a ton better under the dash.
Name:  IMG_6777.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  100.2 KB
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote