View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
landarts
landarts

Re: 70 K10 the Teal Deal

While I was doing all the work on the front brakes and hubs I noticed that the truck was going to need new shocks and tires. Ordered up some Monroe shocks for the front and back. Had a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T 265/75R16 installed on the rims since the other tires were weather cracked and old.

I finally got the shocks and tires on and took it for a test drive in the neighborhood. Everything went well and the truck drove really nice. Next up I need to address the lean on the driver's side. I noticed after sitting on the driveway that there was a lean on the driver's side. So I measured all the way around and the front driver's side was about 1.5" lower than the other three of wheel wells. So time to tear into this issue.

Got the truck jacked up and started doing measurements under the truck from spring perches to the frame, looking for anything that might point to the obvious. I have read that the driver's side is common to have a lean due to torque and also the weight of the driver.

While under the truck on the driver's side I noticed the top spring closest to the frame had some cracks or breaks showing on the side of the spring. So I spent the next hour removing the u-bolts and found that the spring was broken in three places under the spring perch plate. Then I remembered that the K20 front springs I removed from another project are the same springs used on the K10. Grabbed it out of the parts shed and installed it. Let it down off of the jacks and still has a lean.

Do a little research and then some calling around and found a spring shop not far from my house. They said that it is a common issue and that they could re-arch the spring to match the other side and get the truck level.

Drove the truck 13 miles to the spring shop in Boise. That was the first time the truck had been on the road in over 10 years. The drive went well, the truck drove really nice and I was really enjoying the trip and trying to take it all in. Had a big smile on my face while I was driving it over to the shop, and had a few thumbs up from people which is always a cool thing.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote