View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #77
OutlawDrifter

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Family vacation time has come and gone. We went East this year, had stops in Bowling Green, KY at the National Corvette Museum and spend some time in Nashville, TN. We ended up getting home a day early, so I put it to good use.

Friday I went salvage yard hopping and came home with a third row seat out of a 2004 Chevy Astro. Pulled the headrests and trimmed 4" off of the mounts and it was ready to be mocked up in the cab. I will weld some 3x3 3/16ths steel to attach it to the floor.

Saturday I cleaned the entire cab out, washed, scrubbed, gauges, cables, wires, and heater/defroster, removed. I also cut out the seat base for the stock seat. Once everything dried down, I set the cab back on the frame, threw the seat in and tried a fender, running board, and the hood to see what it looked like. Great motivation to keep pushing forward. I also hit the exterior with some purple power and a brush...guess what, I found some pretty decent paint underneath all the oxidation.

I hope to have the inner fenders trimmed up and the rest of the front sheet metal hung this week.

Here you can see the difference after a good cleaning. The majority should buff out well and leave a nice patina with the surface rust.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote