View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #22
FAKKY

Re: Cluster checks and options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I would be carefull tapping into a fused ign source in the fuse panel because there may be other stuff in the same circuit and a 10 ga wire is capable of more amps than the fused source or ign switch may be able to handle. you could use a relay though. fused ign source would simply turn the relay on and 10 ga wire would be powered from a battery supply with a fuse close to the source. that is partly the reason why new vehicles have an under hood fuse and relay panel. they are close to the battery that way.
10 ga wire sounds pretty heavy for just the gauges but an amp gauge would require that ga. the rest probably be ok with 14 ga and the power for the lights could be even less. use the 10 ga ground wire because you need that for the amp gauge and it could also be used for the lights but the gauge light wiring could be taken off a light source connection on the headlight switch with something like 16 ga.

what gauges/lights do you plan on having in the cluster?
fuel level
oil pressure
coolant temp
voltage
amps
trans temp
cyl head temp
nitrous pressure
boost pressure
vacuum pressure
fuel pressure
speedo
tach
hi beam indicator
left and right turn indicator
park brake on indicator
brake system indicator
fog lights on indicator
seat belt indicator
outside temp

some manufacturers have dual or quad gauges that show several things in one gauge. you could save cluster space that way.
LS swap. Probably.....for main dash

Electric Speedo
Water Temp
Oil Pressure
Voltage
RPM
And left/right indicators

Later on ...... maybe boost, trans temp if I go FI.

If you dont mind - dumb it down for me regarding creating you own "cluster circuit" so to speak.

Meaning - if you dont tap into an existing circuit for KEY on ..... how do you create a new one. I get splicing into existing circuits. Not sure how you create a new one though isolated from others and protected with fuse.