View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
SilverMiner

Upgrading a stock 400sb

I recently acquired a small block 400 out of a 1975 truck (T0505TLS casting, presumably a 2-bolt) which was rebuilt .030 over to stock specs approximately 20K miles ago. I got to hear it run, and everything was fine. It is now sitting on the engine stand in my garage awaiting installation.

Back in the mid to late 80's I owned a 76 Blazer that had a 400 which had been given the standard 70's performance upgrade: a cam, headers, and an intake. That engine had the most snort of any squarebody I've ever owned, and I've always wanted to recreate that experience and I'm hoping to get that again by replacing the tired original miles 350 in my 1980 suburban.

I'm looking at installing either a COMP Xtreme 4x4 X4250H cam or whichever package Lunati recommends to me. I already have the Edelbrock 2101 Performer and a well tuned and rebuilt Q-Jet. Headers will probably wait, and I'll run with the stock cast iron logs initially as I've never had many good experiences with headers.

What do you think of my cam choice? Is there a better or more universally approved cam out there for a 400 small block with stock compression, cast manifolds and original heads? Later on I might entertain the idea of going with Vortec heads, but if I can achieve similar performance to what I had with my old 76 I'd be more than happy, and obviously it didn't have Vortecs (who knows what the heck it might have had).