Thread: Triple Threat
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
izzy_Britton

Re: Triple Threat

Only had a little time when done with the left front to disassemble the right front and see what the heck was going on...

Well as mentioned before the brakes of this truck are a complete basket case. let see why.

First off this is the brake line, you can see the PO just sandwiched the end of the brake line with two washers and a bolt and nut and called it done.

Next is the caliper, after removing the mounting bolts it didn't immediately move so i gave it some gentle persuasion with a mini sledge. The caliper finally fell off to the floor and promptly exploded.

when it hit the floor one of the pistons, complete with seal, flew out and sludge oozed out on the floor. yes i said sludge, i have never before seen sludge in a brake system, but this stuff was thick like jello, thick like the sludge you get in your engine after 100,000 miles and no oil change kind of sludge.

i didnt bother even considering rebuilding the caliper, i boxed it up and on the 9th trip to the parts store today i bought a new caliper, this will maybe be installed tuesday or wednesday night.

brake pad, or should i say, lack of pad, but steel backing plate?

And what happens when you drive without pads, metal to metal?

YEP!

needless to say both ball joints are toast on this side as well. The axle appears to have been replaced once already so i don't know if i will do anything more with that, but at 53$ for the dumb thing and i will already be knee deep in this side as well maybe 53$ worth of preventative maintenance is not out of the question.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote